Toric IOL technology uses biocompatible materials that have been successfully used in contact lenses and proven safe for the eye. There is an additional cost for this lens implant and for astigmatic treatment. If you have a very small amount of astigmatism your doctor may suggest treating this with advanced laser cataract technology at the time of your cataract surgery instead of using a toric IOL.
If you are seeking Astigmatism correction Washington DC please feel free to contact us to schedule an eye exam. Our Washington DC eye doctors have a significant amount of experience in dealing with astigmatism and matters of the cornea.
FDA Results (reported by Ocular Surgery News)
- AcrySof toric IOLs reduced the absolute residual astigmatism
- Patients were two times more likely to achieve <0.5 D residual refractive cylinder with a toric IOL than with a monofocal implant
- The mean absolute residual refractive cylinder for patients receiving a toric IOL was approximately 0.6 D vs. nearly 1.25 D for patients receiving the control IOL.
- At 1 year postoperative, more than 50% of patients receiving a toric IOL had less than 0.5 D of cylinder, compared to nearly 25% of patients receiving the control IOL.
- Of the patients who received toric IOLs, 92% achieved an uncorrected distance visual acuity of 20/40 or better.
- Sixty-one percent of patients who received a toric IOL in one eye achieved good distance vision without the use of spectacles; 97% of patients who received a toric IOL bilaterally were spectacle independent