Toric IOLs for Astigmatism
If you have been told that you have developing cataracts and you also have astigmatism, new premium lens implant options are available to help minimize your need for glasses after surgery. If you are unsure if have astigmatism please check with your eye doctor.
Astigmatism is a refractive error where people are unable to see objects clearly from a distance or up close. Astigmatism is asymmetric steepening of the cornea or natural lens that causes light to be focused unevenly. Astigmatism may occur in varying degrees in each eye and can accompany myopia or hyperopia. To individuals with uncorrected astigmatism, images may look blurry or shadowed. Astigmatism can accompany any form of refractive error and is very common.
The recent advancements in Intraocular Lens (IOL) technology have now made it possible to provide an effective solution for patients that have astigmatism. Until recently, patients that were IOL candidates and had astigmatism had no option built into the lens which would correct the astigmatism aspect of their visual condition. Surgeons would typically perform refractive surgery or LASIK after the insertion of an IOL to correct the complete visual picture. The eye doctors at Washington Eye Physicians & Surgeons are pleased to offer Toric IOLs for astigmatism correction after cataract surgery. If patients did not have astigmatism correction after IOL implantation then contacts or glasses would be required to deal with the astigmatism. With advancements in the optics of IOLs the manufacturers have now been able to accommodate for astigmatism.
Toric IOL technology uses biocompatible materials that have been successfully used in contact lenses and proven safe for the eye. There is an additional cost for this lens implant and for astigmatic treatment. If you have a very small amount of astigmatism your doctor may suggest treating this with advanced laser cataract technology at the time of your surgery instead of using toric lenses for cataract surgery.
If you are seeking astigmatism correction Washington DC, please contact us to schedule an eye exam. Our Washington DC eye doctors have a significant amount of experience in dealing with astigmatism and matters of the cornea.
FDA Results (reported by Ocular Surgery News)
- AcrySof toric IOLs reduced the absolute residual astigmatism
- Patients were two times more likely to achieve
- The mean absolute residual refractive cylinder for patients receiving a toric IOL was approximately 0.6 D vs. nearly 1.25 D for patients receiving the control IOL.
- At 1 year postoperative, more than 50% of patients receiving a toric IOL had less than 0.5 D of cylinder, compared to nearly 25% of patients receiving the control IOL.
Of the patients who received toric IOLs, 92% achieved an uncorrected distance visual acuity of 20/40 or better.
- Sixty-one percent of patients who received a toric IOL in one eye achieved good distance vision without the use of spectacles; 97% of patients who received a toric IOL bilaterally were spectacle independent